This recipe is part of the latest 21 Gluten Free Meals from Costco Plan.
So I was chatting with my friend Christan about my Slow Cooker Maple Chicken recipe that I recently shared on $5 Dinners. She fixed it for her family and her girls (like my boys) couldn’t get enough.
We got to talking about recipes and slow cookers at our last MOPS meeting and she told me about a very similar recipe that she makes…but it’s curry and not maple. It’s almost identical…swapping out the maple for coconut milk and curry powder. The rest of the ingredients and the cooking method are the same!
- My kids loved this just as much as they did the Maple Chicken. I just had to convince them that the “yellow stuff” (colored from the curry powder) was really chicken. They goobled up their sweetened curried carrots and sweet potatoes without any prompting. (A mother’s dream…for her child to eat their vegetables without coersion being involved.)
- If you open your coconut milk and it’s hard and white on the top, don’t fret. It’s natural for coconut milk to separate. Just spoon it all into the slow cooker and whisk it up until it’s creamy.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Chicken Curry
Yield – 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cook Time – 8 hours in slow cooker
- 1 can (15 oz.) light coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 pkg (about 1.5 lbs.) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 carrot sticks, peeled and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper over the top
- Whisk together the coconut milk and curry powder in the base of the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken thighs (or chicken breasts if you prefer), the sweet potatoes and carrots. Toss with the coconut milk.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the top.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Serve Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Chicken Curry.