When to Add Pasta to the Slow Cooker – One Dish Dinners Tips and Tricks

pasta to slow cooker When to Add Pasta to the Slow Cooker   One Dish Dinners Tips and Tricks

So we recently talked about when to add rice to the slow cooker. And now it’s pastas turn.

Making some meat or chicken with a sauce in the slow cooker can make for a wonderful meal.  But cooking the rice or pasta “on the side” is not always necessary. With many recipes, you can add the rice or pasta right in and let it cook during the last bit of cooking.

Pasta can quickly turn into a mushy mess in the slow cooker.  And by quickly, I mean really quickly.

To keep the pasta from getting soggy, add the shells plus 1 cup of hot water (or maybe more, depending on how much liquid is already in the slow cooker) when there is 30 minutes left in the cooking cycle.

If you are using quick-cook pasta that takes just 7 minutes to boil, then I would add it in 18 to 20 minutes left in the cooking cycle. If you are using a heartier, whole grain pasta, than plan to add that 35 to 40 minutes before the cooking cycle is complete.

Also, I recommend transferring the contents of the slow cooker to a large bowl or serving dish, to prevent the pasta from overcooking while the slow cooker sits on the warm setting.

Have you done much slow cooking with pasta or rice?! What have you found works best for you?!

This entry was posted in How To, Tips and Tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to When to Add Pasta to the Slow Cooker – One Dish Dinners Tips and Tricks

1. I’ve been too chicken to add the pasta in to the actual slow cooker so I often cook it on the stove. But what does work great in my experience is lasagnas in the slow cooker. Here is a link to my favorite one: http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2011/03/march-madness-day-15-whole-wheat.html

• Erica R. says:

Try it! I tried and it came out perfect and most of all I didn’t have to dirty another pan to make the pasta separate, which I was considering before I came across this article

2. Joe says:

We seldom add pasta to our slow cooker but we do when adding broken speghetti noodles to taco soup. The wife turns the slow cooker off when adding the pasta, stir well, and leave the lid off. I think it cooks in like 10 minutes…not sure though.

It is hard to add pasta without it turning into a pile of mush.

3. sheila mcginnis says:

I was camping once with some friends, and we decided to have a soup night. So I decided to do chicken noodle. I put pasta in about 1 1/2 hours before time to eat…let’s say it became a cream of chicken soup—It was gone (to my surprise).

4. Allie says:

Erin,

I love cooking with my crock pot. I have had it for about 15 years and consider it “seasoned”. (Like cast iron, lol.)

I actually never cook with rice or pasta because I don’t know when to add them. Now I do. I have actually bought cookbooks geared to crock pot cooking and they don’t address this, I guess I was buying the wrong ones. ;-)

Thx for the wonderful tip.

~Allie

5. Dawn says:

I have a dish that I add orzo pasta to a chicken dish that already has a lot of liquids (wine and stock) and I add it 20 minutes before hand.

6. Erica R. says:

I just tried this tip in homemade cheeseburger helper and it worked! 30 minutes and the pasta came out al dente which is what I love!

7. Anne says:

Would the 30 minutes be while cooking on low or high or does it matter? I am excited to try this!

• Erin says:

Hi Anne,

The high or low won’t matter…the heat from either will be enough to heat and cook the pasta.

Erin

8. Joni says:

I have a recipe for a spinach tortellini soup that has frozen tortellini as an ingredient. When should I add that to the crockpot?

• Beverly Grage says:

I love to add different flavors (stuffings) of tortellini to soups, stews and hot dishes. I add them in skillet dishes as well as crock pot recipes during the last 10 to 12 minutes (skillet/stovetop) or the last 20 to 30 minutes (crockpot) of cooking time. YUM !

9. leather zip top pouch pocket (measures 9?” wide x 6” tall)UnlinedPatent leather base with five metal feetMeasures approximately 17” at widest knockoff louis vuitton http://knockoff-louisvuittonbags.blogspot.com/

10. Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is excellent, as well as the content!

11. Joey Boggs says:

great tips can’t wait for more! Thank you so much!

12. Lorry says:

I have a double crockpot and I cook the meatballs and sauce in one and the broken up spaghetti in the other. I cook the spaghetti between 20 – 30 minutes and it turns out perfectly all the time. Glad to see this tip for others. It’s great!

13. guesttt says:

maybe im too much of a specific person but you don’t really say dry or partially cooked pasta…i assume dry but since alot of people coming to the page may have never tried i feel like you should make the distinction. the other concern i have is wouldn’t the timing depend of the type of pasta orzo or rigatoni, fettuccini or elbow macaroni? i just feel like imho if your going to advise on such a thing more details are needed…i kind of still feel like if i try it it’s a shot in the dark as to whether it will come out properly. no disrespect meant i do appreciate the attempt to help us slow cookers out with our dinners :)

• Beverly Grage says:

I usually use dry pastas when cooking soups and stews, regardless of whether it is stovetop dishes or crockpot. But when you’re using pastas in salads, fresh sauces such as a tomato-based spaghetti or a white sauce such as one poured over fettuccine alfredo that you’re going to pour over the pasta just at serving time, then fresh pasta is the best way to go.

14. Rhonda says:

Thanks for all the help :)

15. Sandi says:

I have come across many recipes where you can make macaroni and cheese using PRE-BOILED pasta. You add all your ingredients to the pre-boiled and then cook for 3-4 hours. Are there any recipes that will let you add all wet ingredients to DRY pasta and leave it on for longer? I want to be able to add everything in the morning and come home to very cheesy very hot mac n’ cheese.

16. Kate says:

I’ve found that adding one jar of spaghetti sauce, one box of rigatoni, and then refilling the pasta sauce jar with water and pouring it over the pasta —then cooking it on high for 3 hours works pretty good. (I found this out in Beth Hensperger’s book “Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook” and the “Slow Cooker Revolution Series”. (For someone who can’t boil water, such as myself, this works pretty good.)

17. Sierra says:

My boyfriend and I use wild rice or brown rice pasta in our slow cooker, and we usually put it on top of whatever other stuff we’ve got in there and make sure there’s not liquid covering it (a little is ok, but not covering it). The steam cooks it perfectly in 4-6 hours, and you just stir at the end. It’s perfect for our vegan mac and cheese and even better in our Tex-Mex pasta.

18. wonderful post, very informative. I’m wondering why thee opposite specialists of this sector don’t understand this.
    You should proceed your writing. I am confident, you’ve a great readers’
    baase already!