They make a great breakfast. They make a great lunch. And they make a wonderful one dish dinner!
You’ve got the protein from the eggs, cheese and bacon, plus a little starch from the potatoes. Serve it with a side of fresh fruit and you’ve got the entire food pyramid covered!
Loaded Potato Frittata
6 slices turkey bacon
4 medium Russet potatoes
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 bunch green onions, sliced
Side ideas: Clementine oranges, apple slices, bananas, cantaloupe wedges
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook the turkey bacon (or regular bacon if you prefer) in the cast iron skillet.)
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and then saute the potatoes in the bacon grease for 5 to 7 minutes, or until begin to soften.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and sour cream. Add a little salt and pepper and whisk that in too.
- Once the potatoes have softened some, pour the egg mixture over top and let cook on the stovetop for about 3 minutes, or until you see the eggs along the edges begin to set.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the eggs in the middle have set.
- Add the shredded cheese to the top and then bake for another 5 minutes. Be sure to use a heavy duty oven mitt, as the handle will be hot, hot, hot!
- Once the cheese is melted, remove the skillet from the oven. Let cool slightly before slicing.
- Slice and serve topped with green onion slices and a side of fresh fruit.