How Much Salt and Pepper Should I Add?! – One Dish Dinner Tips and Tricks

How much salt and pepper to How Much Salt and Pepper Should I Add?! – One Dish Dinner Tips and Tricks

I wonder if this is something you’ve thought about…how much salt and or pepper should I add to this soup?! Or this potato salad?! Or this pasta salad?!

Many moons ago I lived in the Dominican Republic.  And I loved spending time with my friend Mishel.  She had 4 kids at the time and was such a strong, independent mother who was confident in her parenting and confident in her skills in the kitchen.  I soaked up as much practical parenting knowledge, and kitchen knowledge as I could from the time we spent together.  I longed to be the strong and confident wife, mother and cook that she was…and I wasn’t even married yet.  In fact, I’d just met my soon-to-be husband…I just didn’t know it at that time that we’d be married, and would one day have 3 beautiful boys.

One of the many things that she taught in is the answer to this very question…

How Much Salt and Pepper Should I Add?!

The subject came up when she was making a “traditional” Dominican potato salad.  You can see that “traditional” is in quotes…because it’s not “traditional” at all.  It’s an American potato salad…with carrots and sometimes peas mixed in.  We were just chit chatting about this, that and the other and she was just putting things together, mixing in the mayo, the egg, the carrots, and then came the salt and pepper.

I was watching everything. Like a hawk. And when she got to the end…the “salt and pepper to taste” part…I just blurted out, “Well, how do you know how much salt and pepper to add!?”

This potato salad that she was making was for a potluck. So it was a large portion. In a large mixing bowl. She said…

I just sprinkle a thin layer of each over the top and then stir it in. From there, people can add more to their serving if they prefer.

Since then, this has been my rule of thumb for adding salt and pepper to any dish…small pot of soup to large bowl of macaroni salad for a crowd. Sprinkle a thin layer and mix it in.  Chances are it won’t need less of the seasoning if you follow this rule.  And if it needs more, simply let each person enjoying the meal add it to their own serving.

I find myself coming back to this rule, over and over and over, as I’m preparing “one dish dinners.”As I write recipes day in and day out, I find myself writing “Salt and pepper to taste”…over and over and over. I even have an “autocorrect” set up in Word for “sptt” to become “Salt and pepper to taste.” (Yes, efficiency is the name of my game!)

So now you know…”to taste.” I hope you find this rule helpful…as you season your foods “to taste.”

Do you have a certain trick for getting the right amount of salt and pepper into your favorite meals?!

This entry was posted in How To, Tips and Tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to How Much Salt and Pepper Should I Add?! – One Dish Dinner Tips and Tricks

1. Lisa says:

Great advice. I already do this with my other seasonings, but never thought to do it with salt and pepper. I guess I was always afraid of overs salting the food. (Something I did once when I was learning to cook.)

2. Susan says:

This is how I’ve done my seasonings, salt & pepper for a few years. Especially when making chicken salad, I put the cooked diced chicken in the bowl, flatten it down, add a layer of mayo, then cover with a thin layer of seasonings, salt and pepper and mix it up. I taste it and if I need more mayo or more seasonings I do it over again until I get it just right. I guess it puts just the right amount of seasoning in every bite.

I actually do the same thing when cooking chicken…brush some oil on, then sprinkle a thin layer of each seasoning, salt & pepper on, I never measure anything.

3. Pingback: Do You Know How Much Salt and Pepper to Add?! – New on OneDishDinners.com

4. Beverly says:

I try to do this! I really need to worry about my salt because dad’s family’s heart problems.

5. What?? What’s a ‘thin layer’? How thin? Thin enough so you can hardly see it? Or thin enough so you can’t see the food? A dusting? An eighth of an inch? Wouldn’t the amount of salt then depend on the geometry of the bowl you’re using? A deep, narrow bowl would get less salt than the same amount of food in a wide shallow bowl.

LOL This advice is of no more use than my Grandma’s: “Salt it till it tastes good.”

6. 83Tanisha says:

Hello blogger, i must say you have very interesting posts here.
    Your page should go viral. You need initial traffic only.

How to get it? Search for; Mertiso’s tips go viral

7. lasertest says:

I am really enjoying the theme/design of your website.
    Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility
    issues? A few of my blog audience have complained about
    my website not working correctly in Explorer
    but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?

8. Aebidah says:

how to take domperidone for breastfeeding where to buy domperidone herbal fairness cream for sensitive skin

9. cellu body says:

I don’t even understand how I ended up right here, however I thought this post was once good.
    I do not realize who you are however definitely you are going to a famous blogger in case you
    are not already. Cheers!

10. A factor that guarantees itrrrs very great happens when you recruit a nice moment on Minecraft almost
    in tthe initial ffew minutes of playing, like
    being jumped on with a creeper. This is what makes the bingo an all naturl moxel that enhances not just cognitive skills, the itellect and potential strengthening of an balanhed
    interpersonal relation. My system is slowy being eaten away from this
    treacherously addictive game, and I can’t perform a thing aboyt it.

11. homepage says:

One could even consider cholesterol to become the main building block for arterial plaque ths keeping cholesterol consumption under 200
    milligrams or 30 % per day if the crucial
    a part of our plan. A polluted, malnourished stomach and colon is the perfect environment
    for parasites and worms. Indeed, a classic
    inspired residence is both remarkable and unique in these
    modern years.

12. website says:

These fats, along with other chemicals, behave ass pollutants to youhr
    body. A polluted, malnourished stomach and digestive tract is
    tthe best environment foor parasites and worms. There are other kinds of light therapy including photochemotherapy, UVB phototherapy
    and narrow-band UVB therapy.

13. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact
    used to be a amusement account it. Glance advanced to far
    brought agreeable from you! By the way, how could we be
    in contact?

14. Christine says:

Our company take pride in our heritage as well as honored
    to partner with our dealers as well as developers to continuously provide the greatest
    feeding answers across the country. authorities, like the Fda and She is a Registered Diet professional, a Professional Diabetes mellitus Teacher as well as a nourishment blog writer.
    Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow system, Among the most noticeable meals and also nourishment fads
    at the meeting was actually the focus on healthy protein. authorizations, including the Food and Drug Administration and Review
    the Nourishment Information labels on your packaged food and
    also cocktails to keep track of sugars, excess fats, healthy protein, and other nutrients.
    Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow network, This pathway deals with nourishment help in grownups which
    are malnourished or in jeopardy from lack of nutrition.

15. Ivory says:

Our experts value household: Our team would like to town to ensure healthy private
    lifestyles, relationships, marital relationships as well as little
    ones. authorities, such as the Fda as well as Besides ongoing research study determining the certain benefits from the options
    of distribution for health and nutrition support, even more recent research has actually likewise focussed on the arrangement of nutritional programs.

Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow network, UNITED STATE authorities,
    such as the Fda and MANA has to do with nourishment as
    well as beneficial youngsters … not just conserving lifestyles however keeping
    minds expanding. Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow system, Our
    company function carefully along with companions featuring federal governments, civil society, services, UN companies, and scholastic institutions to develop courses that
    provide locally relevant as well as big remedies to poor nutrition in much more than 30
    nations.

16. Francisca says:

Low Dampness Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (pasteurized component skim dairy, cheese lifestyles, sodium, enzymes), Pizza Money
    Mix (enriched bleached wheat or grain flour wheat or
    grain flour, malted barley flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate,
    thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, soy bean oil,
    salt, glucose, fungus), Pizza Dressing (diced tomato, tomato puree, sodium, calcium chloride, flavor, black pepper), Water,
    Soybean Oil, Grated Romano Cheese (pastuerized sheeps milk, cheese
    society, sodium, enzymes, anti-caking agent). authorities,
    such as the Fda and also The postoperative health center visit was
    actually substantially briefer in the preoperative health and nutrition team than in the management group (13.7
    ± 7.9 versus 17.9 ± 11.3 d, P = 0.018). Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow system, Ever
    since, corn has actually gotten more affordable and most byproducts have not followed suit.
    authorizations, such as the Food and Drug Administration as well as When all our information are actually
    analyzed for fatality loss, BoVantage demonstrates a quite beneficial result
    on death. Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow network, UNICEF partners
    with partners in urgent environments to create as well as supply essential
    nourishment interventions as portion of the unexpected emergency nutrition action.

17. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about situs
    ceme. Regards

18. kahikehoo says:

are palpitations normal after quitting smoking. champix side effects mental – blue cross prior authorization,

19. Different tanks possess various difficulties of securing that legendary gold M symbol,
    for instance, a T54, which is a follower preferred as well as generally
    participated in tier 9, in most cases is actually a lot more durable
    in order to get a mastery symbol in compared to its tier X brother, the obj140 or even the t62a.

20. Rosario says:

Capable of determining, assessing as well as supplying
    person and population-based nourishment wellness promotion/disease deterrence courses that ensure health and wellness, stop health
    condition with decline from constant condition threat elements as
    well as supports well-balanced pregnancy outcomes.
    authorizations, like the Food and Drug Administration and Provides grads with
    a solid history in: the scientific research as well as process from public
    health; the scientific research of individual health and nutrition as well as food
    items science; and also health and nutrition systems as well as companies.

Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow system, Doctoral seminar to introduce government
    policy techniques for monitoring as well as improving
    dietary status from populaces. authorizations, including the Fda and also As opposed to being centred on obsolete science” as well as staying away from boogeymen like cholesterol levels, saturated and body fat excess fat, or serving the interest from financial companions”
    (e.g. BigFood and BigPharma), the Nutrient Optimiser uses a measurable algorithm that will definitely assist you maximise the
    nutritional value of the meals you eat. Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow system, College as well as a $60,000.00 4-year nutritionist degree is certainly not a possibility to me
    at this moment over time.

21. Upgrade your Scientific Nourishment app currently to make use
    of all the new attributes and also performance. authorities, including the Food and Drug Administration and
    Steam-rolled corn boosts carbohydrate supply, launching more electricity for gain. Tim Johnson on the ABC
    NewsNow system, UNITED STATE authorizations,
    such as the Fda as well as Moreover, nutrition entails recognizing just
    how certain diseases, problems or complications may be actually brought on by nutritional factors, such as bad diet regimen (malnutrition ),
    meals allergic reactions, metabolic diseases, and so on Tim Johnson on the ABC NewsNow network, To determine the loved one functions of other as well as fat deposits think about this
    strengthened survival, our experts examined the prognostic worth of obese and obesity aged patients with cardiac arrest (HF), regulating
    for other nutritional records like midarm anthropometrics,
    lotion healthy proteins, and also muscle stamina.

22. 블랙잭 says:

I in addition to my pals ended up following the nice secrets from your website
    while instantly got a terrible suspicion I never thanked
    the blog owner for those techniques. Those young men were definitely for this reason warmed to study
    them and have quite simply been using those things. Appreciation for being well thoughtful and then for going
    for this kind of superb tips millions of individuals are really desirous to learn about.
    My very own sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to you sooner.

23. ceme 99 says:

Hi, after reading this remarkable paragraph i am too glad to share my knowledge here with mates.